Gather your friends, neighbors, co-workers or teammates together to compete in the Community Spirit Challenge by hosting a group to cheer on the participants of the VCU Health Richmond Marathon, Markel Richmond Half Marathon, and Richmond 8k courses. There’s really no reason to miss out – not only will we award up to $500 for the most spirited groups, but we’ll even cover up to $250* of your party supplies!
So pick a theme, decorate signs, wave flags, play music – do whatever it takes to keep those 18,500 runners going on race day.
Date & Time
Saturday, November 10, 2018.
Times vary according to location and will be specified by the Sports Backers.
Contest participants will be located along the course, as assigned by the Sports Backers. You may not interfere with the course or the race participants at any time.
Who is eligible?
Anyone is eligible to participate. In order to qualify for prizes and reimbursement, you must be registered in advance with the Sports Backers and your group must be a minimum of eight (8) people.
What will I receive?
Each group receives an official Spirit Pack, which includes:
- An invitation template to send to your friends
- Community Spirit Challenge Guide Book
- Group Banner (must be visible to judges on race morning)
You may also be reimbursed* up to $250 for your efforts. The following items may be approved for reimbursement:
- Party favors & decorations
- Refreshments for your group (Please do not offer anything to the runners.)
- Plates, cups & utensils
- Please note: Alcohol is not a reimbursable expense
* To apply for reimbursement, the host of your registered group must save all receipts and bring them to the Sports Backers office Nov. 12-16. Checks will be mailed the following week. Reimbursement of expenses will not exceed a total of $250 per group.
Prizes & Judging
Prizes are awarded based on originality, theme, decorations, crowd size and of course – spirit! Bonus points may be awarded for groups assigned to longer time slots. Judges will pass each group at different times during the race, so make sure you keep that spirit up all day long.
Don’t Forget the Competition Rules
- You must register in advance with the Sports Backers to be eligible to win
- Minimum of eight people per group
- Group Banner must be visible to judges on race morning
- Your group must be in the specified location at the specified times
- You must not interfere with the course or the race participants at any time
- Do not offer any refreshments or other items to the runners
Join in the Fun!
Fill out the Community Spirit Challenge registration form by Friday, October 26th.
- Snail Mail: Attn: Amy Waters/100 Ave. of Champions, Suite 300/Richmond, VA 23230
Contact Amy Waters – [email protected] or 804-285-9495