September 20 - November 15, 2014
They say there’s strength in numbers… and we couldn’t agree more! Training for the November 15 HCA Virginia 8k can be a challenge, but doing it
in a group setting with a crew of supportive coaches and teammates is sure to get you to the finish line. As you work your way through our eight-week program—catered to runners and walkers of all abilities—you’ll quickly realize how fun (yes, FUN!) training can be and how easy it is to make new friends. So take some time for yourself, your health, and your social life and meet us September 20 at one of our five convenient locations. Lace ‘em up, folks—it’s time to get moving!
Here is what some past participants had to say about the program:
“Several years ago I walked a race with no training team or preparation. I decided to try again, but the right way this time. The training, clinics and meetings were so valuable! I enjoyed the Saturday experiences very much. Thank you for your encouragement!”
“I loved everything about it—meeting the new people, getting great tips, and an overall awesome time!”
“I never expected the support, fun, and lifelong friendships I gained from the Training Team!”
How to Register
There are three ways to register:
Register online through September 28.
- Sign up in person at one of the informational meetings listed below.
Print out an entry form and mail it in with a check.
PLEASE NOTE: All Training Team fees must be received by September 29 in order to participate in the program.
Training Team Fees
Special Income-based Rates Available
Those who make $20,000 or less annually or receive proven TANF, Food Stamp or Energy Assistance Benefits from Social Services are eligible for a special $10 rate for the 8k Training Team. Anyone interested in taking advantage of this income-based entry free, visit the Sports Backers office located at 100 Avenue of Champions, Richmond, VA 23230 to apply. Please bring with you this completed form along with one of the following:
- Verification/Eligibility letter from Social Services
- 2 most recent paystubs
- Tax Return
What the Entry Fee Includes
- 8-week training program starting on Saturday, September 20 at 7:30 a.m. with a detailed written schedule for you to follow
- Personal guidance from a team of experienced coaches
- Organized and supported weekly group Saturday morning runs from several convenient locations around the city
- A special Sports Backers 8k Training Team shirt
- Entry in the 2014 HCA Virginia 8k and all associated race benefits
- Special clinics on shoes and running attire and what to expect race day.
- All Training Team entry fees must be received by September 28 at 11:59 p.m.
- Training Team entry fees are non-refundable and entries are non-transferable, no exceptions. Once we receive your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not defer your 2014 Sports Backers 8k Training Team entry nor your entry in the 2014 HCA Virginia 8k to the 2015 event.
- Strollers and baby joggers are not allowed at group training sessions or in the HCA Virginia 8k
To learn more about the Sports Backers 8k Training Team, please attend one of these informational meetings. You do not need to attend a meeting in order to join the program. (Schedule subject to change)
|Henrico Doctors' Hospital
||Thursday, September 4
||Tuesday, September 9
|West Creek Emergency Center
||Wednesday, September 17
Saturday Group Run/Walk locations
The schedule for the weekly Saturday group run/walk at each facility is below.
Training Starts on September 20, 2014 at 7:30 a.m. at all locations
When you arrive for the first Group Run/Walk on Saturday, September 20, you will receive a training booklet with the complete eight-week training schedule. Every Saturday you will meet at your local facility listed above. The other days of the week, you will be on your own to follow the training schedule.
Here is a sample of the first week’s training schedule:
Cross Train or Walk
Check back for a list of clinics.
Already registered? You can confirm your entry here.