September 21 - November 16, 2019
They say there’s strength in numbers… and we couldn’t agree more! Training for the Nov. 16 Richmond 8k can be a challenge, but doing it in a group setting with a crew of supportive coaches and teammates is sure to get you to the finish line. Spend 8 weeks in a program catered to runners and walkers of all abilities – you’ll quickly realize how fun (yes, FUN!) training can be and how easy it is to make new friends. So take some time for yourself, your health, and your social life and meet us Sept. 21 at one of our convenient locations. Lace ‘em up, folks – it’s time to get moving!
Join our Traveling Team! Tired of doing the same routes? Then take advantage of all the uniquely RVA places you can run and walk. This group will meet up at different locations each week such as…the Virginia Capital Trail, The Fan, Brown’s Island and more! Post-training you can explore each area by going to a local coffee shop, or brunch location with some of your new 8k Training Team friends!
Here is what some recent participants say they love most about Sports Backers Training Teams:
“Several years ago I walked a race with no training team or preparation. I decided to try again, but the right way this time. The training, clinics and meetings were so valuable! I enjoyed the Saturday experiences very much. Thank you for your encouragement!”Jan Sloan
“I loved everything about it—meeting the new people, getting great tips, and an overall awesome time!”Virginia Moncure
“I never expected the support, fun, and lifelong friendships I gained from the Training Team!”Lauren Caldas
How to Register
There are three ways to register:
Register online (available in early spring) through September 29.
- Print out an entry form (available in early spring) and mail it in with a check.
PLEASE NOTE: All Training Team fees must be received by September 29 in order to participate in the program.
Training Team Fees
Complete or Compete?
No matter your goal, the Sports Backers 8k Training Team is designed for you!
Are you ready to have a good time completing the 2019 Richmond 8K with your friends, family, and team mates? Whether you are new to running and/or walking, or coming back after an injury, this group is designed for folks like you who want to complete the big race – and plan to wear a big smile with your medal – no matter how fast or slow you go!
You feel the need for speed – and are willing to push yourself a little harder this year – to run or walk a little fast this year! How do you race faster? You have to train faster! While we can’t promise to transform your performance in 8 weeks, we can help you incorporate speed-building intervals safely!
Special Income-based Rates Available
Those who make $25,000 or less annually or receive proven TANF, Food Stamp or Energy Assistance Benefits from Social Services are eligible for a special $10 rate for the 8k Training Team. Anyone interested in taking advantage of this income-based entry free, visit the Sports Backers office located at 100 Avenue of Champions, Richmond, VA 23230 to apply. Please bring with you this completed form (available in Spring 2019) along with one of the following:
- Verification/Eligibility letter from Social Services
- 2 most recent paystubs
- Tax Return
What the Entry Fee Includes
- Training Starts on September 21, 2019 with a detailed written schedule for you to follow. Most sites will begin at 8 a.m., but coaches will email all participants prior to the first day of training to confirm
- Personal guidance from a team of experienced coaches
- Organized and supported weekly group Saturday morning runs from several convenient locations around the city
- A special Sports Backers 8k Training Team shirt
- FREE entry in the 2019 Richmond 8k and all associated race benefits
- All Training Team entry fees must be received by September 29 at 11:59 p.m.
- Training Team entry fees are non-refundable and entries are non-transferable, no exceptions. Once we receive your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not defer your 2019 Sports Backers 8k Training Team entry nor your free entry in the 2019 Richmond 8k to the 2020 event.
- Strollers and baby joggers are not allowed at group training sessions or in the Richmond 8k.
- You must be at least 8 years of age to participate. If you are under the age of 16, you must have a parent/guardian present for all training runs.
Saturday Group Run/Walk locations
The schedule for the weekly Saturday group run/walk at each facility is below.
Locations and time subject to change.
Training Starts on September 21, 2019. Most sites will begin at 8 a.m., but coaches will email all participants prior to the first day of training to confirm.
- Southside (Bellemeade Community Center)
- 8:30 a.m.
- 1800 Lynhaven Avenue, Richmond 23224
- Chesterfield Health Department
- 8:00 a.m.
- 57 Lucy Corr Cir, Chesterfield, VA 23832
- East End (Challenge Discovery Projects)
- 8:00 a.m.
- 2405 Jefferson Avenue, Richmond, VA 23223
- Fan/Carytown (Capital One Cafe)
- 8:00 a.m.
- 2933 West Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23221
- Goochland Family YMCA
- 8:30 a.m.
- 1800 Dickinson Rd, Goochland, VA 23063
- *Childcare available
- Hanover (New Highland Baptist Church)
- 8:00 a.m.
- 9200 New Ashcake Rd, Mechanicsville, VA 23116
- Midlothian (Coal Mine Coffee)
- 7:30 a.m.
- 117 Browns Way Rd, Midlothian, VA 23114
- West End/Short Pump (Whole Foods Grocery)
- 8:00 a.m.
- 11173 W Broad St, Glen Allen, VA 23060
- Traveling Team - This group will meet up at different locations each week such as…the Virginia Capital Trail, The Fan, Brown’s Island and more! You are also always welcome to train at one of the above locations any week you like!
When you arrive for the first Group Run/Walk on Saturday, September 21, you will receive a training booklet with the complete eight-week training schedule. Every Saturday you will meet at your local facility listed above. The other days of the week, you will be on your own to follow the training schedule.
Here is a sample of the first week’s training schedule:
|Saturday 9/21/2019||Sunday 9/22/2019||Monday 9/22/2019||Tuesday 9/23/2019||Wednesday 9/24/2019||Thursday 9/25/2019||Friday 9/26/2019||Saturday 9/27/2019|
1 Mile Walk/Run
Cross Train or Walk
1.5 Miles Easy
Already registered? You can confirm your entry here.
There will be clinics held on topics from injury prevention to nutrition to shoes. Check back as this list gets updated.
Challenge Discovery Projects